4/14/08

If I just....

If I just had a new car, I’d be happy; If I just lost a few more pounds, I’d be happy; If I just didn’t have to do so much work, I’d be happy. Any of those phrases sound familiar? So often, we always want more. To loose MORE weight; to make MORE money; to have MORE friends. Why do we always want more? We’re not content.

We live in a world, were it’s so easy not to be content, it’s almost hard to be content. You go home at night and turn on the T.V., what do you see? “You need this Ipod”; “You need this type of makeup”. So, you turn off the T.V., and go upstairs to the computer. What you do find then? Your favorite website bombarded with ads saying the same thing. “You need this” I searched Google for “I need”. I got 123,000,000 results! It said I needed everything from professional liability insurance to computers.

It’s obvious there is a problem, but how do we solve it? We can’t just pass the blame on the fact that we live in a society where we are taught that we always need more. So, let’s starts by taking a look at exactly what contentment is. Webster defines contentment as the state of feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation. That means being satisfied with what you have, where you are in life, and how you look. Paul takes about being content. In Philippians 4:11-12 he says, “I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”

I had always thought about contentment in terms of possessions and the stuff you had, but it goes much further than that. One area I sometimes deal with is being content on how I look. Many of you may know I once really struggled with self-esteem and self-image. I’ve gotten so much better about it, but there are still those days when I struggle. I’m not always content about how I look. (Which I complete foolishness). After all, the King of Kings created me. The same one who paints Hawaiian sunsets, made me. By not being content with my body is an insult to God. I’m saying what He made is ugly, and doesn’t measure up. When thoughts like this flood my mind, I simply quote Psalm 49:11 “The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor Him for He is your Lord”. Another good verse is Psalm 139:14 “I praise You because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Your works are wonderful, I know that full well.”

What is it that you struggle being content with? Mine is my body, what’s yours? Is it the number or quality of your possessions? Your social status? The number of friends you have? Or maybe is it your place in life that God had called you? Whatever it is, I encourage you to talk to God about it. Enter into the throne room of the King and ask Him to help you be content. I know without the Lord’s help, I never would have been able to get over the whole image thing.

No comments: